These shrivelled red berries are alleged to boost the immune system and brain activity, protect against heart disease and cancer, and improve life expectancy. Goji berries contain vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin A, iron, selenium and other antioxidants (notably polysaccharides). These are very effective in weight management and skin care . these are very beneficial for hair fall and hair thickness.
This tiny berry, gojis are loaded with impressive disease-fighting compounds. Deemed a healing food in traditional Chinese medicine for over 5,000 years, ancient medical texts lauded goji berries as a tonic for the eyes, liver, and kidneys. Today, they are known to be one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Here are 5 great reasons to get more gojis into your diet :
- They’re anti-inflammatory. Beta-sitosterol, an anti-inflammatory agent in goji berries, can help lower cholesterol, protect against heart disease, and promote sexual health. Beta-sitosterol has been used to treat everything from fibromyalgia, asthma, allergies, hair loss, chronic fatigue syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus. It is a plant substance similar to cholesterol that appears to lower cholesterol levels by limiting the amount of cholesterol that can enter the body.
- They’re naturally vitamin rich. Think more vitamin C than oranges, more beta-carotene than carrots, and more iron than steak. Plus, goji berries are an excellent sources of B vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin. They contain plentiful amounts of vitamin E too.
- They protect your eyes. Goji berries are one of the richest edible plant sources known for Zeaxanthin, a compound related to vitamin A that has been shown to protect the retina of the eye. In addition to preventing age-related macular degeneration, or the deterioration of the retina, zeaxanthin guards the body from the damaging effects of free radicals, molecules that destroy cells and play a role in many diseases.
- They promote muscle growth. Goji berries contain 18 amino acids, including all eight essential amino acids. This makes them an ideal choice for meeting your daily protein requirements.
- They enhance immunity. Lycium barbarum polysaccharides are nutrients found in goji berries that have been shown to strengthen the immune system. They have a similar chemical structure to immune-stimulating compounds within maitake mushrooms and Echinacea.